New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can A Newly Qualified Foreign National Permanent Resident Of Hong Kong Automatically Secure PR For His Parents Too?

March 28th, 2024

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


So, just what immigration options for parents accrue to a foreign national holding a Hong Kong permanent identity card?

Permanent Resident of Hong Kong


Hi there!

 A foreign national became a permanent resident after many years study and work in Hong Kong.

Now he wants to sponsor his parents holding Canadian passports to become a P.R.

In Hong Kong too – any way to do that? 

How long will it take for the application? 

Thank you.


In Hong Kong there is no facility to automatically secure permanent residency for foreign nationals other than the process of undergoing seven years of continuous ordinary residency in Hong Kong. So notwithstanding the fact that there is a situation where an individual – foreign national, has recently secured permanent residency that in of itself is not going to parlay or translate into opportunities for permanent residency for any other family member automatically, other than for dependent children under the age of 21 who were born in Hong Kong whilst such a person was a temporary resident here.

In any event, in order to secure status to allow dependent parents to be residents in Hong Kong sponsored by a foreign national permanent resident, the only manoeuvre that’s available is to apply for dependent visas for the elderly parents, and elderly in that regard is over 60 years of age.

The application is relatively straightforward, but you need to show that there is dependency on the part of the parents, and that the sponsor can put food on their table and a roof over their head.

Once those dependent visas have been independently secured, those elderly parents will maintain their residency under dependent visa status throughout all of the seven years that follow the issue of the dependent visa in the first place, and at the end of that seven-year period they will be able to independently apply for permanent residency in their own right.

So, to answer your question, no ability for permanent resident foreign nationals to automatically undergo process to get permanent residency for any other supporting family members or accompanying family members, but there does exist a mechanism for elderly parents in this type of scenario to become permanent residents after seven years of holding dependent visas. I hope you found that useful.

VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Permanent Resident of Hong Kong

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...