New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Apply For Right Of Abode If My Employment Visa Expires On The Exact 7 Year Anniversary Of My Residence In Hong Kong But I Have No Job On That Date?

January 1st, 2024

Posted in Employment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Unemployed When Your Eligibility For Right Of Abode Accrues?

Can You Still Qualify For PR Even Without A Job …

First Published June 4, 2103

Right of Abode

Do you need to be employed on the date that your 7 year anniversary of your residence in Hong Kong comes up which then allows you apply for the right of abode with the wrinkle that your current employment visa expires on exactly the same date?


I started working in Hong Kong with a working visa on 21st of April 2007.

Since then I have been continuously in Hong Kong, but have been made redundant this year.

My current working visa will expire on the 21st of April 2014.

Since I do not have a job, I will not get a new visa, so that day I will also have to leave Hong Kong.

My question: can I apply for the permanent residency on 25th of  April 2014 (as I have been at least 7 years now in Hong Kong, continuously, and I have decided to make it my home) and then leave Hong Kong and come back on a tourist visa while waiting for the -hopefully- approval?

Or just wait abroad untill they contact me?  If not, what should I do to ensure that I at least qualify the requirements for application?

I love Hong Kong so much that it would be a shame to just lose the PR because of that small period I am missing.

Thanks a lot.


VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Right of Abode

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!


More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

What Can Be Said To Be ‘Ordinary Residence’ For The Purposes Of A Hong Kong Right Of Abode Application?

Will The 2 Years I Spent Studying In China Break My Continuity Of Residence For My Hong Kong Permanent Residency Application?

I Have Lived In Hong Kong For 5 Years – Can I Extend My Work Visa For 2 Years, Quit My Job, Study Full-Time Then Apply For The Right Of Abode?

Strategy On How To Craft An Argument To Appeal A Refused Hong Kong Right Of Abode Application

Hong Kong Permanent Residency Approval With A 2 Year Absence From Hong Kong

10 Must Have Resources For A Successful Hong Kong Permanent Residency Application





Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...