New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can You Get A Work Visa to Teach English in Hong Kong if You Don’t Have a University Degree?

January 8th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Any chance of an employment visa to teach English in Hong Kong if you don’t have a degree?



I’m hoping to move to Hong Kong to teach English and find employment with an employer who will grant me a work visa.

I’m a British, recently turned 30. I have studied 2 years Higher Education which is equivalent to 2 years University Degree. I recently passed the TEFL teaching course.

But I don’t have the 3 years full degree, my qualification is only 2 years equivalent, do you think I’m still capable of getting a work visa?

I’m hoping to stay 7 full years if a visa is granted to become a Permanent Resident.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The seven things an employer needs to know about getting a Hong Kong employment visa for foreign national staff

What happens if you inadvertently breach your conditions of stay by taking up an unauthorized employment in Hong Kong without first applying for a change of sponsorship?

The perils of contriving a job offer just for the purposes of a Hong Kong employment visa application

100% visa application success rate? Take it all with a pinch of salt

Is it better to apply for your visa before or after you relocate to Hong Kong?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...