New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can You Get the Right of Abode if You Were a Hong Kong Belonger Many Years Ago?

March 3rd, 2017

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


This question takes us back to the time before the Basic Law was enacted and how the arrangements for the right of abode impact on the status of a foreign national child born to such a “Hong Kong Belonger.”



I was born in Hong Kong in 1976 to parents who had been in HK since 1969 / 1970. We left Hong Kong when I was almost 10, in 1986. My Mum still has her HKID card from 1986 (“to be renewed in 1993″  is stated on the card). I believe at that time it was Hong Kong Belonger status rather than PR.

I would like to find out whether there is any chance that I could obtain the right of abode / PR status on account of having been born in Hong Kong and on account of my family’s 16 year stay here.

Any information / advice would be most welcome.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

So, just what is the deal with the right to land anyway?

Hong Kong right of abode for foreign nationals – when does the 7 year clock start ticking?

If I am an overseas Chinese  and my mother holds a HKSAR passport and a PHKID card , do I have the right of abode in Hong Kong?

Losing unconditional stay due to studies abroad – a family’s dilemma

10 must have resources for a successful Hong Kong right of abode application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...