New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Do I Still Need a Hong Kong Working Visa if I’ve Been Placed on Gardening Leave?

July 25th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


You always need a Hong Kong working visa to take up employment in Hong Kong whether paid or unpaid. What about if you are serving out your notice period on gardening leave?


(First Published June 4, 2015)


My friend resigned from his job with his Hong Kong employer in May and he was on placed on garden leave right away. 

His last date of reporting is in November (he is serving out 6 months notice for his resignation). 

However, his Hong Kong working visa will expire in the middle of this month (June). 

The employer is not willing to help to extend his Hong Kong working visa. 

Could you suggest anything my friend can do?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

I want to change jobs with a significant reduction in my base salary – how will this impact on my Hong Kong employment visa change of sponsorship application?

What do you need to to do if there has been a change in the details of your Hong Kong employment visa sponsor but no change in your employer?

What happens if you inadvertently breach your conditions of stay by taking up an unauthorised employment in Hong Kong without first applying for a change of visa sponsorship?

I’ve lost my job – what happens to my Hong Kong employment visa?

Is there such an animal as a ‘flexible’ working visa in Hong Kong?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...