New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Extending Your Hong Kong Dependant Visa After Divorce – Is It Possible?

August 9th, 2023

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Can You Extend Your Hong Kong Dependant Visa After Divorce?

First Published February 17, 2016

This is a Hong Kong immigration situation that happens a lot more frequently that you might imagine!


Hong Kong Dependant Visa After DivorceUpdated August 2023

Can You Extend Your Hong Kong Dependant Visa After Divorce?


I would like to know if there is any possibility to extend your Hong Kong dependent visa after divorce from a spouse who used to be my sponsor.

Presently I am a student in Seoul, Korea though I have been visiting Hong Kong at least once or twice a year since 2014.

My current dependent visa expires 2016/10/09.

I would like to maintain my residency in Hong Kong and I hope your expertise in immigration matters might be of great help to me.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.


Unfortunately, in the wake of your divorce from your dependant visa sponsor, unless you have a continuing rationale for remaining in Hong Kong there’s not much you can do, especially if you actually live in another country at this time.

My best advice would be to return to Hong Kong, start working for a third party employer (you don’t need special permission to do this with your current dependant visa) and in 2013 when your dependant visa expires, ask your employer to sponsor your employment visa to continue your residence in Hong Kong.

This should not be too much of a problem to accomplish.

After that, so long as you remain in Hong Kong as an employment visa holder, you should be able to get to 7 years continuous ordinary residence and thereafter make an application for the Right of Abode.

There’s no silver bullet in your circumstances I’m afraid.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The Hong Kong Immigration Department Are Out To Deny – Not Approve – Visa  Applications (Aren’t They?)

Work In Hong Kong For 5  Years – Leave For Two, Then Return – Will I Lose My Continuous Residence For PR Purposes.

Please Don’t Ask Me To Advise You On How To Break Hong Kong Immigration Law!

What Are Your Visa Options For Hong Kong Where Your Marriage Has Irretrievably Broken Down

How To Gee Up A Hong Kong Visa Application Where The Process Is Taking Too Long To Fiinalise


Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!



Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...