New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Hong Kong Prolonged Visitor Visas No Longer Available to British National Trailing Life Partners

January 24th, 2013

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


It has recently become apparent that British Citizens can no longer receive prolonged visitor visas to stay in Hong Kong with their defacto spouses and Life Partners…

Update: the issue remains open, after all…



I moved here with my partner two years ago for his job and since then have been on a student visa. Unfortunately I’ve had to leave my course due to illness.

I used your excellent free resources to put together an application for an extended visitor visa. When I went to immigration today I was told they were no longer issuing them, having stopped last year.  Is this right?

Now I have around 4 weeks until my visa become non-valid and was advised that with a British passport “there won’t be any problems coming into Hong Kong” as a visitor. However with such an ad hoc arrangement I am nervous.

Do you have any advice?

More Stuff to Help You Along

10 Must Have resources for a same sex partner application

What Hong Kong visa options exist for unmarried trailing partners?

How to stop worrying about your Hong Kong visa and start applying

The Visa Geeza on RTHK Radio Three – Nov 2012

Hong Kong employment and same sex partner visa – a joint application strategy




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...