New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

How Can a Defacto Spouse Gain Approval to Work Under a Hong Kong Prolonged Visitor Visa?

June 30th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


So, what happens if a defacto partner ‘trailing spouse’ wants to take up employment in Hong Kong under a prolonged visitor visa? Is this possible?



Hi Visa Geeza,

I have been offered a job in Hong Kong and me and my de-facto partner are considering the move.

Whilst the company will sponsor me,  my partner wants to work in Hong Kong and not sit idle.

Is there anyway through the prolonged visitor visa (PVV) that she can obtain a right to work?

Also, are the PVV’s a little hit and miss and no guarantees they will be granted as they are a “made up” visa to accommodate defacto partners?

Me and my girlfriend have lived together for 5 years.

Appreciate any views / comments you can give.

More Stuff You Might Find Useful or Interesting

What is the condition precedent for a Hong Kong prolonged visitor visa to be issued to a defacto spouse?

If you stay in Hong Kong for 7 years as a defacto spouse holding a prolonged visitor visa will you ultimately qualify for permanent residency?

What Hong Kong visa options exist for unmarried trailing partners?

I want to live in Hong Kong with my boyfriend – is the Working Holiday visa a good option?

How to ensure you are not breaking the law by operating a business in Hong Kong as a visitor




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...