New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

How Can I Regain the Right of Abode in Hong Kong if I Have Been Downgraded to the Right to Land?

April 3rd, 2022

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Getting from the Right to Land to the Right of Abode is the same as coming from a temporary visa to a permanent identity card. It’s all about the magic seven years in Hong Kong… 


I am a UK Citizen with the Right to Land.

I understand that with Right to Land, I have no restriction in staying in Hong Kong apart from I can’t vote. 

After 7 years, I would like to apply for permanent residency again – how do I prove that?  

I do not intend to work and would be living with relatives. 

To supplement my application for permanent residency, would I need to prove my income or need official documents with my name on it e.g. bills or bank accounts?


More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full seven years?

What can be said to constitute ordinary residence for the purposes of a Hong Kong right of abode application?

Will a  break in continuous employment mean a break in continuous residence when it comes to my Hong Kong right of abode application after 7 years?

Employment ended? What visa options do you have to stay in Hong Kong for another 2 years to qualify for permanent residency?

Your Hong Kong employment visa – what happens when you lose your job?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...