New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

I Am About to Lose My Hong Kong Dependant Visa & My Employer Won’t Sponsor An Employment Visa. Can I Just Keep Quiet At Work? They Probably Won’t Check My Visa Status…

February 23rd, 2018

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


What can you do if your marriage has irretrievably broken down and your Dependant visa is about to expire?



I am separating from my wife and she is refusing to keep me on her Dependent visa.

My visa expires in a month and my employers have always made it clear that they won’t sponsor Employment visas – and I don’t know what to.

Do I need to find a new job if I lose my Hong Kong dependant visa in this way? 

How long would it take for a first time visa application?

Can I just keep quiet at work? They probably won’t check my visa status…

What would be the implications for that?

More Stuff You Might Find Useful or Interesting

How a Hong Kong employment visa application can go completely wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing

Getting a working visa for Hong Kong is just a matter of filling in the forms, isn’t it?

The Hong Kong Immigration Department are out to deny – not approve – visa  applications (aren’t they?)

Work in Hong Kong for 5  years – leave for two, then return – will I lose my continuous residence for PR purposes.

What visa options exist for a trailing Girlfriend where there is no possibility of a Hong Kong defacto spouse visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...