New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

I Have a Hong Kong Employment Visa to Take Me Through to 7 Years But Now I’m Unemployed – Can I ‘Cruise’ the Last Year Without Working and Still Qualify for Permanent Residency?

November 9th, 2019

Posted in Employment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published October 6, 2013

Is it possible to lose your job (your Hong Kong Employment Visa), cruise through 12 months without working here, spend three months away in China studying then make an application for the right of abode with no questions asked?


Hello, I have lived and worked continuously  in Hong Kong for the past 6 years, and less than 1 year away from applying for my PR (right to abode application). 

I am currently unemployed, but have an active work visa from my previous employer which doesn’t expire until November 2014.  I intend to submit my HK PR application in August 2014.

I am keen to study mandarin in China for a short duration of time (less than 3 months), but will be required to apply for an F visa to study there (due to my nationality). 

As that time away from Hong Kong is less than six months and I intend to keep my rental flat in Hong Kong, will the application for stay in China for my studies in any way affect my status for the HK PR application next year? 

I don’t want in any way to risk jeopardizing being turned down for my right of abode.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Will you qualify for the right of abode if it is not your intention to live here permanently?

Will a short period of  time away from Hong Kong break my continuity of residency for my eventual right of abode application?

How to apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong without any professional help!

Will redundancy impact your eligibility for the right of abode in Hong Kong?

An open invitation for you to request specific Hong Kong visa and immigration related content




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...