New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

If I Marry A Local Girl, Get a Dependant Visa for Hong Kong then Move to China for Work, Can I Still Get the Right of Abode After 7 Years?

January 26th, 2023

Posted in Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published October 29, 2014 – Still Relevant

Does being married to a Hong Kong permanent resident whilst living in China impact on continuity of ordinary residence for the purposes of a right of abode application subsequently?



Your website is incredibly helpful! However, my situation doesn’t seem to have an answer yet, so here goes!

I’m a UK national and have been working in Hong Kong on a work visa since October 2009.

I have recently resigned from my position but my work visa is valid until February of 2015.

I am going to get married to a HK permanent resident (she was born in Hong Kong) before my work visa expires and apply for a dependent visa for Hong Kong.

My question is, will my 7 years continue through this dependent visa and in 2 years time will I be eligible to apply for my PR?

Separately, there is a good chance my future employer will relocate me to Beijing on a China work visa, but my fiancé and I will frequent Hong Kong since her family is here, and ultimately we plan to permanently return to Hong Kong within the next few years.

Will this disrupt my 7 years?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How does Hong Kong right of abode downgrade to the right to land materialize and what are the immigration implications of this?

I worked in Hong Kong for 4 years – then left for 2 – and have a valid visa in my passport – can I still work & then apply for the right of abode?

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full 7 years?

Does my child get the right of abode if she wasn’t born in Hong Kong but I have the right to land?

Strategy on how to craft an argument to appeal a refused Hong Kong right of abode application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...