New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

I’m a British National Accompanying My Girlfriend Who’s Transferring to Hong Kong to Work for 2 Years – What Kind of Visa Can I Get to Join Her?

February 26th, 2017

Posted in Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


Frequent visitors to Hong Kong need to have bona fide reasons for coming here as often as they do and also need to be able to demonstrate to the examining Immigration Officer their need for such frequent visits in the event they are questioned at the point of arrival.


The following question enables a discussion of this experience and I’m grateful for the good doctor for asking it.


Hi, my girlfriend, a CPA with a Big 4 firm, will be transferring to Hong Kong to work for 2 years this coming May and I of course would like to go with her.

I work as a medic (diving medicine specialist) on oil rigs offshore Australia, on a 4 weeks on, 4 off rotation.

I do not intend to carry out work or receive payment in Hong Kong, or really do much at all except enjoy my time off and spend money.

We will have been together for four and a half years and cohabiting for two, as of the start of my girlfriend’s transfer.

We are both British citizens and passport holders. 

So, I would need some sort of visa that would allow me to stay in HK for at least two years, without working, but making regular trips to conduct work overseas.

I’d be grateful for any advice you can give me on this matter. Thanks.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The long stay visitor’s awkward predicament

What Hong Kong visa options exist for unmarried trailing partners?

Is it possible to get an extension to me Hong Kong visitor visa to stay with my girlfriend here?

I have an employment visa and want to bring my girlfriend to Hong Kong – options please?

10 must have resources for a Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme visa application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...