New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Can I Work as an Independant Contractor in Hong Kong if I Hold a Working Holiday Visa?

March 25th, 2014

Posted in Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong working holiday visas are essentially a breeze to secure – but can you be an independant contractor if you hold one?

Watch this video on YouTube.


I am from the UK and have just gained a working holiday visa for Hong Kong.

As I understand it, as a UK citizen, you can work for 12 months and the 3 month limit does not apply for me as it does to most other nationalities.

I have an opportunity to work for a company, but in doing so I am required to register as a sole proprietor and have a business registration certificate.

Is this possible?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong working visa application

My employment visa will expire before my change of employer application will be finalized – help!

What do both Hong Kong employment and investment visa applications share in common?

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I lived in Hong Kong but worked in Macau temporarily for some of the 7 years needed?

The perils of contriving a job offer just for the purposes of a Hong Kong employment visa application


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...