New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Can You Get PR in Hong Kong if You Have Actually Been Living & Working in China?

May 1st, 2014

Posted in Feature Article, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


How does time spent living and working in China impact on your eligibility for the right of abode in Hong Kong?

Watch this video on YouTube.


I am a Canadian citizen. I worked and lived in Hong Kong from 2005 to 2007 and then was transferred to Shanghai by my employer which is a Hong Kong company.

I live and work in Shanghai now for the last 6 years but keep my Hong Kong employment visa and my Hong Kong ID card.

 Can I apply for permanent residence?

Do I have a case for the 7 year continuous ordinary residence?

 Thank you very much!

More Stuff  You May Find Useful or Interesting

Hong Kong right of abode applications – consider your strategy and plan early

Will a break in continuous employment mean a break in continuous residence for the purposes of a right of abode application in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong right of abode applications – arguing away missing periods of residence

Is it possible to maintain my 6 years’ ordinary residence in Hong Kong & get the Right of Abode next year if I plan to move to Taiwan soon?

How can I get a visa & work legally in Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...