New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Do I Need to be Physically Present in Hong Kong When My Father Extends His Dependant Visa?

May 6th, 2016

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


My father extends his dependant visa: do you need to be physically present in Hong Kong when extending a dependant visa for an elderly parent?


I am a permanent Hong Kong resident.

I am the sponsor of my father who is my dependent.

My father is applying for an extension to his dependent visa at this time.

He will bring my HKID card with him when he applies but do I, the sponsor have to be physically present in Hong Kong when he goes to his extension appointment date? Also, on the 481A form, I will have to note that I have spent more than 9 months outside Hong Kong in the last year as I am spending time outside HK to be with my aging in-laws.

Is that a potential problem?  

Thank you for your kind help.

More Stuff  You May Find Useful or Interesting

What pathways to an employment visa exist for a fresh, foreign university graduate arriving in Hong Kong seeking career opportunities here?

The anatomy of a ‘slam dunk’ investment visa application -taking just 7 weeks to approval

Why do Hong Kong investment visa applications get denied?

The ImmD are out to refuse – not approve – visa applications (aren’t they?)

10 Must Have resources for any Hong Kong investment visa application


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...