New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Do I Really Need an Employment Visa if I Get 6 Months’ Visitor Status Upon Arrival & Intend to Work in Hong Kong for a Maximum of 2 Weeks?

February 16th, 2014

Posted in Employment Visas, Feature Article, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


Is it ever legal to work in Hong Kong – especially on a short term basis – without the permission of the Director of Immigration?

Watch this video on YouTube.


I am a UK based one person limited company and have been asked by a major financial services company with a business based in Hong Kong to undertake 10 ~ 15 days consulting work there as a one-off exercise.

I will not be setting up business in Hong Kong and will return to the UK at the end of the visit.

Can I do this work under the visitor visa and do I need anything additional such as a work permit?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Can I come to install equipment in Hong Kong without an employment visa?

How can an overseas company temporarily sponsor an employment visa for Hong Kong?

The perils of contriving a job offer just for the purposes of a Hong Kong employment visa application

How flexible is the Admission of Mainland Talents & Professionals Scheme in enabling Chinese  nationals to come and live and work in Hong Kong?

Is it ever OK to work in Hong Kong on an Visitor visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...