New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: My Husband Wants to Leave But I Want to Stay – Can I Remain Behind on My Hong Kong Dependant Visa Indefinitely?

September 12th, 2015

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


So what options are available to Hong Kong dependant visa holding foreign nationals when their spouses are leaving Hong Kong and they want to stay?


I am here on a Hong Kong dependent visa with my husband.

He is planning to leave his employment in Hong Kong and return to his home country but I am thinking of staying for a couple more years.

What happens with my dependent visa (limit of stay expires in the middle of  2016) when he quits his job and leaves Hong Kong next month?

Can I, too, use my consents to reside in Hong Kong even though only via a dependent visa to look for an employer to then change my visa status?

More Stuff  You May Find Useful or Interesting

The Hong Kong Immigration Department are out to deny – not approve – visa  applications (aren’t they?)

How a Hong Kong employment visa application can go completely wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing

Getting a working visa for Hong Kong is just a matter of filling in the forms, isn’t it?

What are your visa options for Hong Kong where your marriage has irretrievably broken down

How to gee up a Hong Kong visa application where the process is taking too long to fiinalize


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...