New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: What’s the Exact Rule About Losing the Right of Abode After Three Years Away From Hong Kong?

March 31st, 2014

Posted in Feature Article, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Whilst the right of abode is called what it is, in actual fact,  a long stay foreign national of Hong Kong gets something less than a “right” as discussed in this question this week…

Watch this video on YouTube.


I have a Hong Kong permanent ID card and it is coming up to 3 years since I last returned to Hong Kong.

Do I need to return 3 years from the date I last left or 3 years from the date I last entered?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

How do foreign national children resident in Hong Kong for 7 years go on to acquire permanent residency here?

How to apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong – the approvability test

Am I compelled to apply for Hong Kong permanent residency after 7 years or can I maintain the status quo of my present employment visa?

If you stay in Hong Kong for 7 Years as a de-facto spouse holding a prolonged visitor visa will you qualify for permanent residency?

Does my child get the right of abode if she wasn’t born in Hong Kong but I have the right to land?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...