New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Right of Abode – Continuity of Residence – Time Spent Away from Hong Kong for Education or Medical Treatment

December 21st, 2022

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published October 4, 2014

Got 2 very similar questions in yesterday so I’m taking the opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone…


I have a residency visa and this is my 6th year in Hong Kong. I need to go back to my country due to some medical urgency. What amount of time can I spend outside Hong Kong so that my 7 years of continuous stay here remains unaffected?


I came to Hong Kong in 2009 as dependent child of my parent. I am supposed to apply for PR in 2015. But I spent more than a year out of Hong Kong to study within this period and I have my academic certificates to support my reason for my stay away. Will the Immigration Department approve my reason or count the 7 years all over again??

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How to apply for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong (American Club Talk)

Will you qualify for the right of abode if it is not your intention to live here permanently?

Hong Kong permanent residency – does being out of work for 12 months on a 3 year working visa cause a problem for the 7 years’ continuous stay?

Will redundancy impact your eligibility for the right of abode in Hong Kong?

An open invitation for you to request specific Hong Kong visa and immigration related content




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...