New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

The Vexed Question of Hong Kong Visas for Chinese National Spouses Resident on the Mainland

March 6th, 2018

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong visas for Chinese national spouses cannot be directly sponsored by their Permanent Resident spouses. So, what ‘unconditional visa’ options exist, if any, for family reunion purposes?



I am a Hong Kong  PR (Canadian, been in HK for 9 years now working as a CPA) and recently married a PRC resident, who is a senior manager in a bank in Shanghai. What kind of visa can I get for my wife that would enable her to live with me in Hong Kong without stay limit, get a HKID card and seek employment.  I note that the published information indicates the dependant spouse approach is not applicable to PRC residents. She does not want to give up her PRC resident status.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

I have a PRC national spouse resident on the Mainland – can she get a dependant visa for Hong Kong?

How can Mainlanders establish businesses here under the General Employment Policy?

How flexible is the Admission of Mainland Talents & Professionals Scheme  in enabling Chinese nationals to come and work in Hong Kong?

Married to a PHKID holder overseas – the Hong Kong visa situation for the foreign national spouse

Do I automatically qualify for a Hong Kong dependant visa if my partner has a work or investment visa here?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...