New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Training, Employment or Working Holiday – What’s the Best Hong Kong Visa Option for a Recently Graduated British National?

January 10th, 2020

Posted in Employment Visas, Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published May 9, 2014

British nationals got an early Christmas present with the Hong Kong Working Holiday Scheme in December 2013


Hi Stephen,

From  May through November 2013 I was employed in a well known and large company in Hong Kong under the training visa for a period of 6 months.

During the end of this tenure the company decided to offer me a permanent position however I had to apply for this job under the employment visa.

Unfortunately this was rejected, as the Immigration Department feel this is a job that can be taken up locally.

I’m 23 years old with one years work experience after graduating from university but really want to stay in Hong Kong now I have embedded myself within the team I was working in and learning all the appropriate skills and practices for the role I was undertaking.

I have now become a highly valued member of my working team.

I want to ask whether already having a training visa then having a working visa rejected would affect my chances of  getting a working holiday visa?

I also have the option to move to Dubai where I have been granted a visa which can be used as a stop gap to get more experience then look to re-apply in Hong Kong.

But as my primary desire is to stay in Hong Kong can I use the working holiday visa as an additional years experience until the time comes that I need to re-apply for a working visa next year?

And how should I re-apply for that differently?

Can you kindly advise what is the best course of action?


More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What chance of approval for a 3-6 month intern visa for Hong Kong & what documents are needed?

Can I work as an independant contractor in Hong Kong if I hold a working holiday visa?

How hard is it to transfer from a Hong Kong working holiday visa to a full employment visa?

Am I allowed to work full time even though I only have a one year Hong Kong working holiday visa?

Can I hold a second job while in Hong Kong working under a training visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...