New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Happens to My Potential For the Right of Abode in Hong Kong if I Leave My Job a Few Months Before My 7 Year Anniversary?

January 23rd, 2020

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published February 2, 2015

So, if you plan to leave your job a few weeks before your 7 year anniversary how will this impact on your application for the right of abode in Hong Kong?



I‘m Australian, and have an employment visa in Hong Kong currently, but I wish to resign from my present job.

Having said that, I might not be able to apply for a new employment here so soon, but I wish to get right of abode in HK.

My 7th year anniversary is in July 2015.

However, if I resign now, my employment will cease in April; my resident visa ends 2016 Jul.

A few queries:

  1. Will my employment visa expire when my employment ends and will I still be able to stay in HK after April?
  2. If I stay in HK unemployed till July, can I still apply my right of abode then?
  3. If I leave HK in April, and return to HK in July, can I still apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong then?

Many thanks!

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Redundancy – the process pitfalls of an expiring Hong Kong employment visa

Is it better to apply for your visa before or after you move to Hong Kong?

I’ve lost my job. What about my employment visa – will I get kicked out of Hong Kong?

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full 7 years?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...