New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Impact Will A Temporary Yet Long Term Secondment Overseas For Work Have On My Hong Kong Permanent Residence Application 3 Years From Now?

January 14th, 2023

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong being a small, dynamic city which punches above its weight in the region, this situation happens all the time. So what IS the impact on your subsequent eligibility for the Right of Abode if your employer wants to shift you off-shore temporarily to manage a project?


I have been working in Hong Kong now for 3 years on an employment visa and my company wants to send me temporarily for 6-12 months to Malaysia to manage a project.  I will be on secondment as an employee of the Hong Kong branch still and will return to Hong Kong when the project is done so am wondering how this will affect my continuous residency? 

Does this mean that I will have to start the 7 years again when I return to Hong Kong?

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

Will redundancy impact on your eligibility for the right of abode in Hong Kong?

I lived in Hong Kong for 11 years but been gone for the last 7 – can I still get permanent residency?

What can be said to constitute Ordinary Residence in Hong Kong for the purposes of a right of abode application?

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residence application

How to stop worrying about your Hong Kong visa – and start applying!




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...