New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Paperwork (If Any) Goes Into Your Passport To Recognize That You Are A Hong Kong Permanent Resident?

March 23rd, 2024

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Dead simple question this one with a very short answer (for a change!)

You Are a Hong Kong Permanent Resident?

What paperwork/ piece of paper, if any, goes in to your passport to recognize that you are a permanent resident of the HKSAR? 

For the last 7 years I’ve had a dependant visa

I need to know as I have one page left in my passport. 

And will immigration take my passport away to facilitate me getting permanent residency?


If you’ve lived in Hong Kong continuously for a period of not less than seven years, you can make the application to convert your status from temporary resident to permanent resident. During the currency of your application for permanent residency, the Immigration Department will call to inspect your original passport at the point of them verifying your eligibility that you are in fact a permanent resident. And that’s the only use of the passport that the Immigration Department take whilst your application for permanent residency is ongoing, so they don’t hold it at all; you are in fact able to travel freely or otherwise with your passport whilst the application for PR has been considered and ultimately finalised.

Once the approval of your PR comes in, effectively your passport is now defunct for immigration purposes as regards Hong Kong because your Right of Aboard is reflected in the issue to you of a permanent identity card and that permanent identity card, therefore is your travel document in and out of Hong Kong, and your passport is no longer needed to be presented to an immigration officer at the point of arrival. Therefore, there’s no endorsement in your passport to reflect your PR.

I hope you find this useful.

VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

You Are a Hong Kong Permanent Resident?

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

Will You Qualify For The Right Of Abode If It Is Not Your Intention To Live Here Permanently?

How Can I Regain The Right Of Abode In Hong Kong If I Have Been Downgraded To The Right To Land?

How To Apply For PR In Hong Kong Without Any Professional Help – Paperwork, Process, Patience…

Applying For Permanent Residence In Hong Kong – All You Need To Know!

Am I Compelled To Apply For PR In Hong Kong After 7 Years Or Can I Maintain The Status Quo Of My Current Residence Visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...