New Content Daily Sign Up Here


Applying for Right of Abode in Hong Kong After 7 Years | How To Complete The Confusing Sections On the ROP145 Application Form

January 20th, 2024

Posted in Long Stay & PR, Musing, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


Hong Kong Immigration ROP145 Application Form


The Hong Kong Immigration Department’s ROP 145 application form is used for the “Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card.”

What Is It?

This ROP145 application form is intended for individuals who wish to verify their eligibility for a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.

The form is a part of the process of establishing one’s right of abode in Hong Kong, typically after having resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years.

Why Should You Care?

If you’re a long-stay foreign national resident of Hong Kong and seeking to change your immigration status to permanent residency you will therefore have to complete the ROP145 application form.

There is a lot of confusion on pages 2 and 4 about which section to tick.

This Is What To Do …

Page 2 ROP 145

ROP145 Application Form
As you are not a Chinese national and you have been continuously resident in Hong Kong for a minimum of 7 years, this is for you. On the ROP145 application form page 2, your claim for permanent residency is based on criteria 4.

Page 4 ROP 145

ROP145 Application Form
This is where the confusion comes in. On the ROP145 application form page 4, there is a subtle difference between 6(4) and 6(5).

6(4) = Chinese citizens

6(5) = You!

Hope you find this helpful!

VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

ROP145 Application Form

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!


More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How To Apply For The Right Of Abode In Hong Kong (American Club Talk)

How To Apply For The Right Of Abode In Hong Kong – Without Any Professional Help – 10 Must Have Resources

Applying For PR In Hong Kong? Start Here!

Swapping From A Hong Kong Work Visa To An Investment Visa – The Impact On Right Of Abode After 7 Years

Can I Still Get Permanent Residency In Hong Kong If I Lose My Job And My Visa Work Expires On Exactly The Same Day As My 7 Year Anniversary In Hong Kong?



Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...