New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

As a Visitor Living in Hong Kong Do You Need to Get An Investment Visa if You Freelance Here But All Your Income is Sourced Overseas?

March 7th, 2023

Posted in Investment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


First Published October 2, 2019 – Advice Still Valid Today

What is the law about visitors working in Hong Kong as freelancers but not engaging in the local economy? Whilst this question was first asked 4 years ago, I have received three very similar quiestions in the last week so nows the time to republish it. So ..

Do you need an investment visa if all your income is sourced overseas?


Hi Stephen,

I’ve lived in Hong Kong for 2 years and now I’m freelancing and getting all of my income from overseas.

I wish to stay in HK, so am I required to get a work / investment visa even if I generate no income here?

Thank you so much for your help.

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

How to go about getting an investment visa if you are starting a business in Hong Kong

10 Must Have resources for a Hong Kong investment visa application

Can you undertake freelance work if you hold a Hong Kong Working Holiday visa?

Is there a special visa type for foreign national media professionals seeking to live and freelance in Hong Kong?

Freelance consulting in Hong Kong – can you get a visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...