New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Hadley Says

Can I Apply for a Residence Visa for Hong Kong While I Am Visiting?

May 1st, 2012

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Hadley Says…, Investment Visas, Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


Watch this video on YouTube.

In making your decision about making your Hong Kong residence visa
application from inside or outside of Hong Kong you really need to

• That some types of visa applications such as Mainland Talents and
Permanent Residency
require you to be specifically inside or outside of
Hong Kong when you apply but for most cases it doesn’t matter where you

• As a visitor, how many days are you allowed to remain in Hong Kong
each stay as it take 7-8 weeks for a residence visa application to be
finalised and you don’t want to be running across to Shenzhen or Macau
every 1 or 2 weeks to get your visitor visa extended as you wait for
the Hong Kong ID to tell you the result.

• You are not advantaged or disadvantaged in any way by where you are
when your application is submitted as the HKID will treat the case the
same way in any event.

More Stuff You Might Find Useful

The long stay visitor’s awkward predicament

Will the Hong Kong Immigration Department extend your visitor visa if you ask them to?

Is it better to apply for your Hong Kong residence visa before or after you arrive in Hong Kong?

Checking the status of your Hong Kong visa application on line – yeah right!

Is it possible to get an extension to my Hong Kong visitor visa to stay with my girlfriend here?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...