New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Get a Hong Kong Investment Visa if I’m Presently An Employee Seeking to Go Into Business With a New Partner?

November 4th, 2020

Posted in Employment Visas, Investment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published September 20, 2017

What’s the differentiating line between a Hong Kong investment visa and an employment visa when investing in the company that is seeking to sponsor-employ you?


I’m from Australia and have been living and working, as a language teacher, in Hong Kong since  December 2014.

I am currently starting up a business with a partner.

I have an employment visa and my business partner has no visa challenge associated with this project – he is married to a local woman.

We are setting up an insurance brokerage based online. We have a business plan and also plan to employ at least 3 members of staff within the next twelve months.

We have a 90% completed website (by developers based in Hong Kong). We are also incorporated in Hong Kong too.

My partner has paid for his 51% equity with a permanent, 5 desk office in  Wanchai and HKD500,000 in cash.  

I am ready to invest HKD500,000 in capital in exchange for my 49% along with my domain expertise and experience. 

I am a qualified insurance professional in Australia and have sat for and passed the relevant exams in Hong Kong, but only really have experience here as a language teacher, so feel that an employment visa would be tough to get from Immigration.

We’re going to attempt to get a Hong Kong investment visa for me instead.

How much would I likely need to invest?  

How likely is it that I will be accepted for such a Hong Kong investment visa?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

I have been made redundant but my wife is working – can we swap our Hong Kong employment and spouse visas around so I can become her dependant in Hong Kong?

What’s a suitable Hong Kong visa and immigration strategy for a highly accomplished professional trailing unmarried partner?

The Visa Geeza on RTHK Radio 3 – January 2013

The perils of contriving a job offer just for the purposes of a Hong Kong employment visa application

The industry secret most Hong Kong immigration consultants don;t want you to discover




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...