New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Quit My Job Just Before My 7 Year Anniversary to Work Overseas & Still Quality for PR in Hong Kong?

December 23rd, 2021

Posted in Employment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Interesting scenario this one…



I have been continuously employed here for almost 7 years and will be eligible to apply for PR in Hong Kong this Sept.

If I leave my current job and start working for a different company outside of Hong Kong, is there any way I can still be eligible for PR in Hong Kong this September?

If the new company’s Hong Kong office hires me and then places me overseas as a temporary secondment, will it be OK to rent out the apt that I own when I go on the secondment?

If the new company’s Hong Kong office hires me and I take a month or two off in between jobs to travel before I start my new job, will this affect my PR application timing?

Thank you!

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How to Apply for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong – A Step-by-Step Guide

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application

What happens to my potential for PR in Hong Kong if I leave my job a few months before my 7 year anniversary?

Will I still qualify for the Right of Abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full 7 years?

Right of Abode – continuity of residence – time spent away from Hong Kong for education or medical treatment




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...