New Content Daily Sign Up Here


Legal Opinion & ImmD Position On the State of Hong Kong Immigration Law For People Who’s Dependant Visas Are Expiring But Who’s Marriage Has Irretrievably Broken Down

October 11th, 2016

Posted in Family Visas, Musing, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


This material is five years old presently but does set out in detail the legal problems for some applicants associated with getting an extension of stay to their dependant visa in the wake of an irretrievable breakdown in their marriage to a sponsoring (ex) spouse.




LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL – Meeting on Marital Status ─ 15 June 2011 – 11846

DIVORCED OR SEPARATED? – Melville TC Boase, Consultant, Boase Cohen & Collins – Hong Kong Law Journal August 2011


More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What are your visa options in Hong Kong if your marriage has irretrievably broken down?

How a Hong Kong employment visa application can go completely wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing

Getting a working visa for Hong Kong is just a matter of filling in the forms, isn’t it?

The Hong Kong Immigration Department are out to deny – not approve – visa  applications (aren’t they?)

Work in Hong Kong for 5  years – leave for two, then return – will I lose my continuous residence for PR purposes.


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...