New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Swapping from a Hong Kong Work Visa to an Investment Visa – the Impact on Right of Abode After 7 Years

June 6th, 2015

Posted in Employment Visas, Investment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


How does swapping from a Hong Kong work visa to an investment visa impact your eligibility for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong after 7 years?


I worked for 5 years in a Hong Kong company. I have since left that company for a year and 3 months.

I have a company registered in Hong Kong for 8 years. I don’t have an office setup and I am using an agents address in Hong Kong.

I would like to apply or a work visa in my own company.

Furthermore, if the visa can be approved can I still meet the Right Of Abode 7 year requirement by fulfilling the last 2 years with my new visa?

More Stuff You may Find Useful or Interesting

How does Hong Kong Right of Abode downgrade to the right to land materialize and what are the immigration implications of this?

I worked in Hong Kong for 4 years – then left for 2 – and have a valid visa in my passport – can I still work & then apply for the Right of Abode?

Will I still qualify for the Right of Abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full 7 years?

Does my child get the Right of Abode if she wasn’t born in Hong Kong but I have the right to land?

Strategy on how to craft an argument to appeal a refused Hong Kong Right of Abode application


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...