New Content Daily Sign Up Here


Right of Abode – Can You Leave Hong Kong For More Than 3 Months For Any Reason Other Than Work Without Breaking Your Continuous Ordinary Residence Here?

August 22nd, 2014

Posted in Long Stay & PR, Musing, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


On May 29, 2014  I gave a talk on How to Apply for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong at the American Club.

Watch this video on YouTube.

The following question was asked:

Would it be a problem to leave Hong Kong for 3 months or longer for any reason other than work without it negatively impacting my eligibility for the right of abode?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

How to apply for the right of abode – is Hong Kong your only place of permanent residence?

Applying for permanent residence in Hong Kong

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet still lived in Hong Kong during that time?

Unconditional stay and not the right of abode – a serious option if you have not taken Hong Kong as your only place of permanent residence

How do you go about changing your Hong Kong employment visa sponsorship at Immigration Tower?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...