New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Happens to My Girlfriend’s Hong Kong Employment Visa if She Quits Her Job and We Get Engaged – Can She Carry on Working on the Strength of Our Relationship?

May 27th, 2020

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Does being formally engaged to be married to a Hong Kong Permanent Resident materially impact the work permissions available to an employment visa holding fiance?



I am a permanent resident of Hong Kong working here and I met my girlfriend who is currently employed and on a working visa.

However she no longer wants to continue after she finishes her contract. She is a dancer and is also qualified to teach dance so she would like to teach classes at studios under her own name for these studios but at the same time perform at various gigs.

She wouldn’t be under a contract.

What would be the best way for her to work in Hong Kong like this?

Also if things progress and we get engaged for example would that entitle her to stay with me in Hong Kong and still be able to work?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong investment visa application

How to apply for a Hong Kong investment visa without any professional help

What about your Hong Kong employment visa if you’re thinking of changing jobs

Should you ever get married just for Hong Kong visa purposes?

Paying for visa help? The Who’s Who of the Hong Kong immigration services industry




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...