New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Will Redundancy Impact Your Eligibility for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong?

March 6th, 2013

Posted in Investment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /



Hi there, you provide a very helpful advice service, so thank you for that!  I have a few questions which I would like your advice on:

1.  I have 1.5 years left towards my Right of Abode application (been working in Hong Kong 5.5 years), but was recently laid off.  Still looking for work, but the previous employer visa stamp on my passport will extend beyond my 7 years requirement.  If worst case scenario, I don’t find work this year while maintaining residency in Hong Kong, will Immigration challenge my PR application due to my unemployment gap?  i.e. do I need a Hong Kong tax filing for each year for the seven years to qualify for PR or will my former employer’s work visa stamp which extends beyond my 7 years requirement be sufficient ?

2.  As a precaution, I am considering applying for a Capital Investment Entrant Scheme (“CIES”) visa to cover the gap to get me past the 7 year mark.  I have the financials to qualify for the CIES requirement, and was wondering what other criteria Immigration might consider in their approval process.

I plan to assemble a CIES application package to submit.  Can you please expand on the financial information I need to submit which will ensure that Immigration receives all the information they will need from me?  I have no debt, and only four bank accounts to detail.   Is it sufficient to attach the most  recent bank statements and statements from exactly two years ago?  Or will  Immigration  require MONTHLY statements for each of my accounts for the past two years?  And if so, will the first page summary of each statement suffice or do I need to include the 3-4 pages in each monthly bank statement?  I am asking the nitty-gritty questions to ensure that my submission is as complete as possible.  And aside from including a summary page outlining the net assets for the current year and from two years ago, is there anything else I should consider  submitting to ensure minimal time for processing and approval?  ie resume, university diploma, etc?

3.  Finally,  do you have a rough idea of how long the CIES approval process takes from the date I hand in my package (assuming the info I submit is complete and no back/forth is needed)?

Thank you again ! 

More Stuff to Help You Along

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application

The very real value a Hong Kong CPA adds to a Capital Investment Entrant Scheme application

Can I study then get married all whilst holding a Hong Kong employment visa sponsored by a company I am no longer working for?

Hong Kong unconditional stay vs the right of abode for CIES visa holders

The twists and turns of an unusual Hong Kong permanent resdency application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...