New Content Daily Sign Up Here


How To Extend the Exit-Entry Permit Endorsement for a Chinese National Temporary Resident of Hong Kong

March 2nd, 2016

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Investment Visas, Musing, Special Programmes, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


I recently received an email from a client who’s wife is Chinese (PRC passport holder) and had to go through an extension process for her Hong Kong/Macau Exit-Entry Permit Endorsement (blue book) as it was up for renewal. As this is a China immigration document/process and not a Hong Kong immigration document process, we have no competency in these matters so I am very grateful for his sharing it in this way. Trust you find it helpful.


Hi Stephen

Hope all is well.

I’m sharing below our experience and tips regarding the required process for Mainland Chinese temporary residents of Hong Kong when extending their Hong Kong residence visas.

We hope this would be helpful for your other clients who are in this category.

(1) When extending the Hong Kong visa, the Chinese passport holder must also renew his/her China endorsement in the Hong Kong/Macau Exit-Entry Permit book.

This is because when leaving China for Hong Kong, China immigration must enter the number of that endorsement into their system –  since they do not recognize the Hong Kong issued visa label).

(2) This can be done in the hometown of that person, or, here in Hong Kong at the China Travel Service (CTS) in Central (2nd floor).

(3) If that person went to China and now finds out he/she can’t return back to Hong Kong, the solution is to go/fly to Shenzhen, and then at Lou Wu go to 中青旅社 and tell them your endorsement has expired, and they’ll make a new one within a day.

(4) Please keep in mind, that this is for a situation that the ‘endorsement’ (looks like a visa inside the blue Hong Kong/Macau Exit-Entry Permit book) has expired. It is not for a situation Hong Kong/Macau Exit-Entry Permit book itself has expired.

(5) If that  Hong Kong/Macau Exit-Entry Permit book expires, it can be renewed also at here in Hong Kong at the China Travel Service (CTS) in Central (that place also renews passports and seems like anything a mainland Chinese might need).

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Checking the status of your Hong Kong visa application on line – yeah right!

The Hong Kong Immigration Department are out to refuse – not approve – visa applications (aren’t they?)

ImmD – what an efficient organisation they really are!

Winning a Hong Kong right of abode application in record time – just 4 days!

How to Gee Up a Hong Kong visa application that is taking too long to finalise


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...