New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Is There Such an Animal as a Hong Kong Employment Visa for an Independant Contractor?

May 21st, 2020

Posted in Employment Visas, Investment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong Employment Visa for an Independant Contractor? The General Employment Policy anticipates that foreign national Professionals seeking to work in Hong Kong are subject to a formal employer-employee relationship. So what’s the situation if the employer wants to engage you as a contractor? Is it do-able?


Dear Stephen,

 I got a working visa in Hong Kong associated with my current employer.

I received an offer in another business in Hong Kong but they said it’s a contractor job.

Please, where can I find more information about visa, tax and procedures for this opportunity?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting Or Useful

Relocating to Hong Kong for work or business – job offer based visas

Hong Kong investment visa – which is better – join in a side business or change visa category to a full investment visa?

Do I need an employment visa even if I am due to be in Hong Kong for just 2 weeks to complete a consulting assignment?

How hard is it to secure a visa extension as an ‘investor’ under the Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates?

Is there any fixed residency requirement for the retention of a Hong Kong employment visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...